Friday, January 23, 2009

Gilbert and Sullivan Scores - Concept

"Life is a joke that's just begun" - The Mikado

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a theater nerd. So, when our teacher asked us to devote a week to a project of our choosing I decided to honor the fabulous Sir W.S. Gilbert and Sir Arthur Sullivan. I choose three plays - The Mikado, Pirates of Penzance, and H.M.S. Pinafore - and created musical score covers.































Since the project was completely guideline-free I went for illustration work (what can I say? I love those wacom tablets!) I'm proud of my little cartoons :)

It took me a while to figure out how to make the three covers look like a cohesive series. My big breakthrough arrived when Beth, my teacher, suggested I add some depth to the design by varying the size of the cartoons. Once I had that idea in my head, BAM everything came together.

After a while I realized it would be a good idea to create back covers as well. This provided me with another opportunity to link the series. It also let me use the cartoons in a different way.

No comments:

Post a Comment